HYSTORY AND MEMORY

Old Sandals and New Sandals

Msgr. Paul Verschuren, scj

As you may know, the Pope accepted my resignation on September 18,1998. I would like to explain why I asked to resign and I am going to do this with the help of two pairs of sandals. The first pair can be found in the Old Testament and the second in the New.

Before I begin I would like to sincerely thank all those who have prayed for me and who have given proof of their love and support for me. It is a source of great wealth to belong to the Church, to be a member of a community in a new way, to experience more deeply that I, through Christ, am a member of the family of God and, at the same time, a member of the Body which is the Church. In God we all sustain each other. And I am not alone.

When I was told of the diagnosis of my sickness I was shattered and sad. I admit that I even wept, for I love life and I love my work. But I know that through your good wishes and your prayers, your closeness has helped me to recognize that "for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist" (1 Cor 8:6). The two pairs of sandals from the Bible helped me to meditate. The first pair is associated with the vision which Moses had in the desert. When he saw the burning bush and tried to investigate the phenomenon the voice of God told him to take off his sandals. When approaching the glory and the love of God it is necessary to take off one's shoes. I felt that the time had come for me to make a more determined effort to take off my shoes, to find myself ready to see the miracle of the burning bush. Old sandals must be taken off before being replaced by new ones. These new ones are to be found in the New Testament in the parable of the two sons, usually known as the parable of the prodigal son. When the younger son returns weary and wounded to the arms of his father, the father orders a new pair of sandals to be brought for his son to wear to the feast. I hope that I will be allowed to be like that young man.

I feel that I am between the new sandals and the old ones. At this point I must leave the diocese. It hurts, but it is important and reasonable. I do it for love of the diocese, which I shall not be in a condition to serve as it needs for much longer. I do it also in order to be able to dedicate more time and attention to my sickness, which is my new task; and to death, which is the door to eternity for every one of us.

When I arrived in Helsinki in 1964 I brought my books and some personal objects with me. I was not exactly wealthy. Now that I am ending my task I am lucky enough to find myself in the same position. Like the priests of the diocese and those of the religious families, I received everything necessary to live and to do my work without a salary. I am grateful for that.

In concluding this letter I would like to express my hopes and good wishes for the projects which have not yet been concluded, such as the missal, the prayer book and the catechism. I would also like to express my good wishes for the parishes, for the development of Stella Maris as well as the various centers and associations. But, perhaps it would be better if I also took off my sandals regarding these things. I have faith in my successor and I have faith in Jesus Christ who is the true Shepherd of our diocese and who is the same yesterday, today and forever. I will remember you with love and "in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation resulting in knowledge of him. May the eyes of your hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call, what are the riches of glory in his inheritance among the holy ones, and what is the surpassing greatness of his power for us who believe, in accord with the exercise of his great might" (Eph 1:17-19).

Meilahti Hospital, September 18,1998.

----------

Msgr. Paul Verschuren, scj. was Bishop of Helsinki (Finland) (N.d.R.)